I love giving the puppies treats.
But like I mentioned when I made their homemade dog treats a couple months ago, buying pet supplies can really add up. Not only that, there have been so many manufacturer recalls on pet treats lately, it’s not worth risking it, especially when it’s so easy to make them at home.
Chicken jerky is one of those treats that have been recalled a lot this year. There have been cases where dogs are having kidney problems because of contaminated batches of jerky. It’s pretty sad.
With all that happening, I stopped buying Dash and Dot their favorite treat. But when I saw chicken breast on sale at the supermarket, I decided to make it for them myself!
1) Preheat your oven to 250 degrees.
2) Rinse the chicken breasts. Cut off any excess fat.
3) Use a sharp knife to slice the chicken into 1/8″ pieces. If it’s too difficult to cut it that thin, a 1/2″ is ok too. Remember, the thinner the pieces, the shorter amount of time it will need to be in the oven.
4) Place the strips of chicken onto baking sheets that have been lightly coated with non-stick spray.
5) Bake for about 2 hours, depending on the thickness of the chicken. When it’s finished, it should be tough and crunchy. It’s better to over cook the chicken than under cook it.
6) Allow the jerky to cool completely. If the pieces are too large, cut them into smaller pieces with scissors or a knife. Store the treats in the refrigerator.
Have a taste for yourself, see why your dogs keep begging for more… I did!