For something that’s so flavorful and delicious, shrimp scampi sure is quick and easy to make! If it weren’t for its bad reputation of being high in cholesterol, I’d eat shrimp all the time. Why does everything that’s bad for you have to taste so good? Wouldn’t it be great if kale tasted like bacon, and bacon tasted like kale? Can you imagine? We’d all be eating all the vegetables in the world! Not fair.
They do say “everything in moderation,” so don’t be afraid to indulge once in a while. Shrimp scampi may not be the healthiest meal, but like I said before, it’s so delicious and easy to make. Just don’t eat it everyday, and you’ll be fine.
Here’s what you’ll need:
1) Peel and devein your shrimp. Give them a quick rinse, and pat them dry with a paper towel. Add 1½ tbs of butter to a frying pan on medium high heat. Let it melt, then add the shrimp.
2) Toss the shrimp around a couple times with a wooden spoon. Then add the minced garlic. Toss again.
3) Add parsley, and squeeze in half of the lemon juice. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss one last time. Shrimp cooks very fast, so this should only take about 4-5 minutes.
4) Remove the shrimp from the pan. Add ½ tbs of butter into the same pan until it melts, and ½ cup of water. Add the orzo, and stir it around a few times to absorb all that delicious flavor.
5) Add another cup of water, and squeeze the other half of the lemon over the orzo. I also included a thin slice of lemon for more zest. Stir it around and sprinkle salt, pepper, and parsley. Turn the heat down to medium low until the orzo is fully cooked (soft).
So easy! Enjoy!