This was something I kind of just guessed & made up, and it turned out great! My husband loved it so much! In fact, I’ve already made it twice in less than two weeks!
This recipe serves 6-8 people; it feeds my husband and I dinner for 3 days! I make a lot because my husband enjoys it so much. Feel free to cut the recipe in half if you want. I wanted it to be as quick and simple as possible, so I limited my use of ingredients. If you prefer to use quinoa or brown rice only, instead of blending the two, feel free. I love the texture of quinoa, so I add it for that and for health.
2 lbs ground turkey (or beef)
2 envelopes taco seasoning
1 can black beans (15 oz)
1 can corn (15 oz)
1 onion (chopped)
1 tomato (chop)
1 cup brown rice (uncooked)
1 cup quinoa (uncooked)
5-6 cloves garlic (minced)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp olive oil
1) Cook the brown rice & quinoa together. The water should sit about an inch above the grains. Bring it to a boil, and once the water reduces, where it sits right above the rice and quinoa, reduce the heat to the lowest setting, and cover it with a lid. It should take about 10 minutes to finish once it’s covered (15 minutes total including boiling time).
2) While the rice is cooking, coat a large pot with olive oil on high heat. Add the chopped onion to the pot. Stir until the onions get a little soft, then add the ground turkey. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp salt onto the turkey and stir until the meat browns. There’s no need to drain the broth.
3) Add minced garlic and 2 packets of taco seasoning to the turkey & stir. Instructions on the package will say to add water, but since you already have all that natural turkey broth, no need to add water. Reduce the heat & let it simmer until the turkey absorbs all that flavor/liquid (about 10 minutes).
4) Drain the liquid from the can of corn and black beans. Stir that into the mix.
5) Optional: Add one chopped tomato. I like it because it adds a nice freshness to it. By now, the rice & quinoa should be ready. Let them join the party too! Mix everything together, and you’re done!
My husband loved it! I ate it as it with some hot sauce. My hubs ate it over a bed of chopped iceberg lettuce the first night and with corn tortillas the second night! All three ways were delicious and healthy!